When you or someone you know gets arrested, your first thought should be to get a criminal attorney. But unless you have experience working with lawyers or know a few good ones off the top of your head, getting a qualified and trustworthy lawyer in Texas is not an easy task. You risk getting;
- A lawyer by name – with none of the necessary skills;
- A lawyer who takes advantage of your situation to milk you;
- A lawyer who will not give you and your case the attention it deserves.
When it comes to a criminal case, you cannot afford to hire the wrong attorney. A simple mistake by your lawyer, especially in Texas, can put you or someone you love behind bars for a long time, or worse, facing the death penalty. That’s why it’s essential to consider the following points when hiring a Texas criminal lawyer.
How quickly can you get hold of your lawyer when you need them? Lawyers spend a lot of time in court, but as a client, your lawyer should give you someone to work on your case any time he or she is unavailable. For this reason, a reputable lawyer should have a brick and mortar office where you can find them or their representatives at all times.
A responsible lawyer should also have a team behind him or her that can help you when they are attending to other cases. These are paralegals, private investigators, and legal assistants, among other people working in their law firm.
A criminal lawyer may come from a reputable firm with access to a big team but lack experience. That’s not the kind of lawyer you should bet your freedom on when facing a criminal trial.
Instead, choose someone with a track record of winning the kind of cases you are facing. Such a lawyer will have extensive knowledge of things like;
- The judges in various criminal courts and how to present a case before them
- The best private investigators who will find evidence that may give you an edge in court
- How to compose an ideal array of witnesses (including credible expert witnesses) that will help you win a case, and
- In case of a conviction of guilt, how to get a sentence reduced as much as possible.
To find an excellent experienced criminal defense lawyer in Texas, start by:
- Asking for professional or personal referrals from family, friends, clients, and colleagues.
- Researching online and looking for reviews and referrals. People share information freely on the internet, and you are likely to find some good lawyers by looking at the different opinions expressed there.
- Attorney comparison sites are also a convenient place to look.
You should also check a lawyer’s reputation on the Texas State Bar. There, you will find out if your attorney is certified and licensed to practice law. You will also find out if he or she has been disciplined for any misbehavior.
If a lawyer wants to win a case, they have to listen to the client. Any lawyer you choose to represent you or a loved one should listen to you. That’s the only way they will get a good idea on the background of the crime, discover your role in it (or not), and keep you from getting jailed.
Details such as the circumstances of an arrest (for example, how the police collected evidence, were you informed of your Miranda rights) can help you win a case. A good criminal lawyer knows the value of listening to a client and will give you the attention you deserve and find all the details needed to win the case.
Do you need a criminal lawyer?
Remember, a criminal charge such as a DUI in Texas can cost you a lot in terms of fines and legal fees, if you lose. Besides, you may lose your driver’s license and end up missing out on jobs because of your record. Therefore, it is essential to get the right attorney to work on your case. If you use the above pointers on how to find a reputable lawyer in Texas, you will definitely find an experienced criminal attorney Denton Texas to work on your case.